2018-19 Young Athena Leadership Program
The Young ATHENA Leadership Program offers young women, in grades 11 and 12, an opportunity to develop leadership skills using eight unique principles, training, workshops, and service learning activities.
ALL 2018-19 Young Athena participants MUST be able to commit to the following events:
- Young ATHENA Leadership Workshop: Saturday morning, June 9, 2018, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm HeraHub 2111 E. Highland Avenue, Phoenix 85016, During this training, the eight ATHENA Leadership principles will be presented and discussed. Each participant will develop her own Leadership Storyboard that represents how she demonstrates each of the principles.
- Young ATHENA Service Component: Volunteer at Feed My Starving Children: Tuesday Evening June 12, 2018, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm, 1345 S. Alma School Road, Mesa, AZ 85210. While in service to the attendees at the event, participants will be observed for examples of demonstrated leadership.
- Young ATHENA Presenting Yourself as a Leader Workshop: Clarisse Ringwald – will teach on Presence and Style and Deborah Johnson will teach on Professional Presentations. Saturday morning, June 16, 2018, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm Workshop Canyon 49 Grill, Grand Canyon University Hotel, 5115 N. 27th Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85017
- Young ATHENA Interview: Each participant will be interviewed by the President of ATHENA Valley of the Sun to identify other examples of leadership within the participant’s school and the leadership principle she best aligns with. Interviews will be scheduled for July 30th and 31st, 2018 through Zoom.us.
Six Young Athena (YA) leaders will be selected from those participants in Phase I to be named the Young ATHENA representing one of the ATHENA leadership principles. They will be recognized at the 2019 ATHENA Valley of the Sun Celebration luncheon Honoring ATHENA Inspired Leaders (HAIL) Awards in February 2019.
- During the HAIL Awards, the Young ATHENA’s will act as the MC’s for the event, facilitate the panel discussion for the HAIL recipients, and present the HAIL Award to the recipient.
- Each of the HAIL Recipients has agreed to mentor a Young ATHENA for a minimum of three times over six months.
Upon SELECTION – The six 2018-19 Young Athena participants MUST be able to commit to attending the following Phase II events:
- Taped Interview Session, Saturday, November 3rd – 10:30 am-1:30 pm at Red Mountain Library 635 N Power Rd, Mesa, AZ 85205 in the Think Spot center.
- Practice HAIL Award presentation walkthrough (Time/Location TBD).
- 2019 AVOS HAIL Awards Luncheon on in February (Location TBD).
Please submit your application to ATHENA Valley of the Sun >>
If you need to stop and return to the application at a later time, use the Save and Continue Later at the bottom of this form.