Why is storytelling a must-have leadership skill?
Leadership is the art of inspiring others to make a story come true. Therefore, if you’re leading people, you’re telling them a story. Of course, your story might not be connecting as deeply as you’d like, and that’s why leaders benefit from becoming better storytellers.-Andy Raskin
Telling our stories is the most powerful way of leading and managing others and that is why we spent this past year developing our leadership story boards. We came full circle with Rachel Egboro of the WholeStory as she provided clear focus on shaping how we share our leadership story.
Some of Rachel’s advice in enhancing our stories included:
- Start with an experience from a short period of time, not something that took years to learn.
- What was the dilemma or your struggle
- Keep story straight on point-no side doors
- Be authentic, be vulnerable, but share what you are comfortable with
- End with yourself and what you learned
We encourage you to polish your narrative with some of Rachel’s advice and help create a clear vision for your team-members to follow by sharing your leadership story.